Sunday, August 22, 2010

Kandi Podi /GunPowder

This is one of my all time favourite powders. Very easy to prepare and when we are running short of any curry or dal at home when can just have this with hot rice and a dollop of ghee/oil. In my childhood days, my mother used to prepare this and mix it with rice and used to give it to us. Uh...Umm. Just thinking of that taste and going back to childhood memories for a while makes me so happy. In Andhra, we call it as “Kandi Podi” /Gun powder, in some other places it is called as Parrupu podi .growing up older day by day I forgot the recipe of how to prepare this powder and started searching over the internet and there are so many variations in it, so finally I found my taste at one destination and tried and really turned out very well and got the same taste as my mom’s. Thanks to Sailu for sharing.  Here goes the recipe:
  
Recipe adapted from: Sailu’s food.com (with a slight variation)

Ingredients:
·  Kandi pappu/tuvar dal/toor dal – 1 small cup
·  Senaga pappu/bengal gram/channa dal – 1 small cup
·  Cumin seeds- 1 1/2 tsp
·   Dried red chillies – 8 (adjust to your spice level)
·  Asafoetida/hing /Inguva – 1 tsp
·  Salt to taste

Method:  
·Heat a heavy bottomed vessel and add both the dals and slowly, dry roast on low to  medium heat stirring constantly till they turn red. Don’t burn them. Remove from pan and keep aside.
·In the same vessel, add the cumin seeds and toss them on medium heat for 2-3 minutes add the dry red chillies and stir fry for 3-4 mts. Remove from pan and keep aside and let them cool.
·  Once cool, grind all the ingredients to a slightly coarse or a rough texture.
· Add salt to taste and asafoetida and combine. Store in an air-tight container.
· Serve hot with white steamed rice and a dollop of ghee.

Kandi Podi 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for stopping by and visting my blog.your feedback & suggestions are very valuable for me.please post them. Thanks once again. Have a Good Day.