Upma is one of the south -Indian famous breakfast. It is very easy to cook , Very healthy and nutritious if we add all the vegetables in it. good combination along with allam pachadi.
- Rava / Sooji (Semolina) - 1 cup
- Ginger chopped - 1 inch (chopped)
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Green Chillies – 3 ( cut round wise)
- Potato -1 chopped into small cubes
- Carrot – 1 chopped(optional)
- Green Peas frozen or fresh - ¼ cup
- Mustard Seeds /Avalu – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Channa Dal – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Few curry leaves
- Few corianders leave (optional)
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice to taste
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel with little ghee in it and roast the rava in a medium –low flame and continuously stir it with a spatula till light brown colour and remove from flame and set aside.
- Now heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, channa dal, and urad dal and curry leaves to it and let them crackle and splutter up.
- Add onion, ginger and green chillies and sauté for 2-3 minutes / till onions becomes transparent; now add all the vegetables, and salt to taste, and let them cook till tender soft by covering it with a lid.
- Now add 3 cups of water and cover the pan and allow it simmer on low heat until the vegetables are done.
- Add the roasted rava to it stirring constantly till it becomes little thick and without forming any lumps. Cook for 2- 3 mins and turn off the heat.
- Squeeze the lemon juice and add it to the upma (if desired).
- Serve hot garnished with cashews and coriander leaves.