Sometimes we find very difficult to prepare a quick and easy snack, the other day one of my friend “Divya” was discussing about the same thing. She is always so friendly and open minded person during our chat we just came across this simple snack which she shared with me .Thanks Divya for sharing the recipe. So here it goes this way, I forgot to mention this snack is better we have the Idly Batter (1 cup Urad dal + 2 cups Idly Rava). Without further delay here it goes:
· Idly batter – 1 cup
· Saboodana /Saggubiyyam – 1 cup (Soaked in curd/yogurt for 2hrs)
· Onion – 1 (chopped finely and should measure up to 1 ½ cup)
· Green chilies--3 small (chopped finely)
· Curry leaves –few
· Salt to taste
· Jeera – 1 tsp
· Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
· Rice flour/Biyyam pindi - ½ cup
· Oil for deep frying
- Take a bowl / vessel and pour in the idly batter and the soaked saboodana and mix well without forming any lumps.
- Now add finely chopped onions, curry leaves,jeera/jeera powder, green chilies to the above mixture and form a medium batter ( by this I mean the batter consistency should not be too liquified (watery) nor too hard ), it should form like a ball and be able to drop into the Oil.
- Now add the Rice flour to the above mixture slowly and stirring continuously with a spatula without forming any lumps.
- Make small lemon sized balls from the above mixture and just press little bit out of the balls to form a little oval shape.
- Heat oil in a pan and put the balls in that oil and allow them to deep fry or till golden brown in color turn up side down in the middle with a spatula.
- Remove from oil and put them on a paper to absorb the excess oil.
- Serve them with tomato sauce/ chilli sauce / with any chutney.
Note : This is can also be prepared as a vada by pressing the batter on a plastic cover and dipping it in oil.
Instead of sabhudana we can soak vermicelli in yogurt and follow the rest of the procedure.