Bhendi/Bendakaya/okra/Lady’s Finger is one of my favourite vegetables. I am very fond of Bendakaya fry , In my childhood days , my father used to say that if you eat bendakaya/Okra/Lady’s Finger your memory power will be increased.I really don’t know to what extent that is true . but that is how i started eating the okra still out of so many vegetables given a choice i will pick up Okra first. i recently learnt from my house owner aunty a variation of this curry.So here goes the recipe:
- Okra - 10 (fresh /frozen)
- Dhaniya powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Jeera Powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Mirchi powder/Red Chilli powder - 3 tsp
- Besan - 1 tbsp
- Garam Masala powder - 2 tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Wash the Okra cleanly with water and cut it length wise to 1-inch size as shown in picture below.
- Take a bowl and mix all the ingredients except Okra with a little amount of oil and form as a semi powder -paste .
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel and heat the oil and once the oil is hot enough add okra to it and put under medium flame and let okra gets cooked till tender soft by covering it with a lid for around 10 min.. Stir in the middle with a spatula to prevent Okra from sticking to the vessel bottom .
- Now , Sprinkle the powder that is prepared and mix well and keep it covered and let it cook for 3-5 min.
- Remove from heat and take into a bowl.
- Serve Hot with Rice/Roti.