Ingredients required for preparing the Choley:
· White/Kabuli chana - 500 gm
· Tea powder -2 tsp
· Medium sized onions -2 (sliced)
· Ginger paste – 2 tsp (garlic also can be used , but I didn’t use)
· Green chillies -3
· Dhania-jeera powder- 3 tbsps
· Garam masala – 1 tbsp
· Jeera- 2 tsp
· Amchur powder (dried mango powder)-2 tsps
· Dalchina /cinnamon – 1 stick (grounded)
· Salt to taste
· Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
· Oil – 3 tbsp
Ingredients required for preparing the Bhature :
· Maida/All Purpose Flour –2 cups
· Salt to taste
· Ajwain/vamu – 1 tbsp
· Baking powder- ½ tsp
· Baking soda- ½ tsp
· Yogurt (sour one could be better) – 2 cups
· Oil for Deep Frying.
Method for preparing the Bhature Dough :
· Mix all the ingredients of bhature. Make dough with the help of water. It should not be very tight or very soft. Leave it outside for 5 hrs cover with a lid.
Method for preparing the Choley :
· Soak the Kabuli chana over night (or) for 5 hrs.
· Boil Kabuli chana with water, salt and tea powder. (Tea powder is added to get the colour of brown).
· Take a pan and heat oil add jeera, dalchini and onions, fry it till onions get light brown and then add ginger paste, and let it cook for 2- 3mts, then add sliced tomatoes. Cook them till the oil separates.
· Add dhania-jeera powder, garam masala, amchur powder, red chilli powder, salt and boiled chana with small amount of water. Cover them and cook it for 5- 10 minutes.
· You can also add tomato puree if the tomatoes are not sour. Choley is ready to be served.
Method for preparing the Bhature:
· Make small balls from the dough and roll them like chapathi’s.
· Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel for deep frying and fry the rolled out balls in oil and serve with hot choley.