Now days in market we are getting Roma Tomatoes cheaper in the market. So when I went to market last week end I got 3 lbs of roma tomatoes for $1. But then few of them are much ripened so I called up my mother in law to ask how to prepare the instant tomato pickle. She gave me a very simple yet delicious recipe. After completing that recipe I really felt it is so yummy, mouth-watering smell and a super taste that any one can just eat without having any thing along with it. This pachadi goes well with Hot Rice, Dosa and Idli’s.
- Tomatoes - 2 lbs. (I used roma tomatoes), (wash them and let them dry completely.)
- Tamarind – large gooseberry sized. (Use them if the tomatoes are not too sour)
- Salt – as per taste
- Methi powder –3 tsp
- Rai powder – 3 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 3 tsp
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1tsp
- Red chillies – 2
- Hing /Asafoetida – 1 tsp
- Oil – ½ tbsp
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the sliced tomatoes and cook on high heat for 5 mts.
- Reduce heat to medium high and continue to cook till the oil separates and the tomatoes turn little bit soft.
- Add the tamarind and place lid. Cook the tomatoes along with tamarind for about ½ hr. and check whether the tomatoes are cooked well .Once done, remove from heat and Cool completely.
- Once cool, add salt and grind the cooked tomatoes along with tamarind to a paste. Remove onto a vessel.
- Add chilli powder, methi powder and rai powder. Combine. Thoroughly mix all the powders.
- In a pan, add 2 tbsps oil, add mustards seeds, hing and dry red chillies fry till the mustard splutters once cool, and add this tempering along with oil to the tomato paste. Combine well. Cool and store in an airtight bottle.