This authentic Mexican salsa Verde has a fabulous flavour; there are 2 different ways of preparing the salsa. One with normal red tomatoes and other with green husked tomatoes, the green tomatoes are called as tomatillo, Green salsas are almost always more mild than red salsas. The main difference between regular salsa and salsa Verde is that tomatillos are used instead of red tomatoes.
· Tomatillos, husks removed, quartered – 5
· White or yellow onion- 2 (skin removed, coarsely chopped)
· Cilantro - 1 bunch
· Salt – 1 teaspoon
· Green chillies/Serrano peppers – 2 stemmed, seeded and chopped
· Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Place tomatillos in a vessel, cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes, remove tomatoes with a slotted spoon.
- Place tomatillos, lime juice, onions, cilantro, and green chillies, in a mixer / blender and grind until all ingredients are finely chopped and mixed. Season to taste with salt. Cool in refrigerator.
- Serve with chips or as a salsa accompaniment to Mexican dishes.